Tuesday, October 27, 2009

How Was Your 6th Annual Intersex Awareness Day?

Yesterday was Intersex Awareness Day. I'm not going to pretend my quippy title underlies a fierce pride of my own annual celebration of IAD...

...because I didn't know it existed until today. I learned this from Queers United post, which has some history, pamplets-for-print, and intersex articles. Good job, QU!

I think that this fact says VOLUMES about how intersex indivudals are often stigmatized to the point that they don't seek out community, or try to educate themselves about intersex. There are so many things I still have yet to learn about intersex history, health issues, and activism going on today...and a lot of that has to do with the shaming of individuals that don't fit sex and gender binaries. (Fuck that.) On that note, I guess I shouldn't be shocked that IAD wasn't locally or nationally covered, as far as I know, although it should be. How about some positive visibility, Mainstream?

Well, you can bet your butts that I'll be ready for the 7th Annual IAD. Local activist centers, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment