Friday, August 5, 2011

Oh No, I'm Writing a Post About Facebook.

I was hoping I wouldn't be doing that. But this shit is important!

This petition I've linked to, from All Out, is trying to get Facebook to change its profile settings to include more options for gender. I would argue that the same should be done for sex, as well, although this petition isn't lobbying for that. Blank fields for everything!!

There's links to testimonials and perspectives from individuals stating why they want Facebook to change their settings options, too, which are great - I think it's important to share stories and experiences from the people who are affected by Facebook's limited options, putting faces and names to this issue instead of just being a group of nameless, faceless, genderblobs.

Check it out, and sign it if you agree this issue is important! <3

2 comments:

  1. A great idea, though I kind of wanted to bash my head against the fact that all the little pics/bios were of CAFAB folks.

    I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I'm not sure if all of them do, but you're right - a lot of individuals assigned female at birth are represented in these bios. Some more diversity in the bios would be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete