Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm Intersex, NBD

Had another casual referencing of the fact that I'm intersex in a group of people - some of who knew, and some who didn't. One individual who knew tacfully asked if I was still doing presentations, without specifying what kind of presentations I was doing. I said that yes, I was!, and we made tentative plans to schedule an event in the future for some of her colleagues.

A new acquaintance then asked, "What kind of presentations do you do?" I felt comfortable in this group, so I said, "Oh, I give presentations about intersex - what it is, why it's considered a controversial topic, and why it's necessary to spread awareness about our bodies and the fact that they're okay and natural." I internally hesitated slightly, waiting for the reaction to "our" - clearly outing myself as intersex. No one cared, no one asked inappropriate questions, and everyone was respectful. It was really gratifying. :)

This is what it should look like. Looking forward to more no-big-deal interactions like this! :D

2 comments:

  1. HEY! Check out my blog instersexawareness.tumblr.com

    It was inspired by you (plus for a school assignment)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Miss CWB! Thank you for your comment! I checked out your tumblr, and I think it's great that you are intersted in learning more about intersex and intersex activism. If you have any questions or want to have discussions about anything intersex for your blog, let me know, and I'd be happy to contribute. :)

    I miss you, too, and hope that all is goin' well with you!

    ReplyDelete